Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Rising Water

800X600

(Click image to enlarge).

A picture of the path I walked 5 days earlier. This would be the same day I posted the muddy feet pic. That day, none of that water was there. I walked along the edge of the cornfield. The yellow arrow points to where I went. So, as you can see, the water level rose quite a bit in 5 days. There is a river if you keep walking (a road that runs parallel to the now underwater path).

Walking down this path for awhile I eventually came to a place where it was flooded. I should have turned about, but I pulled up my pant legs and kept going. A short while later I slipped in some mud and fell to my knees. At the time (when I realized I was going to fall), my goal was to not land on my ass and end up with wet underwear.

When I found myself in the water I - after a few seconds had passed and I took in the fact that I was soaked - I thought, what about my camera? It was around my neck attached to a lanyard. Sure enough, I looked down and it was submerged. So I pulled it out and brushed it off.

It hadn't been in the water too long, so maybe it was OK? I had just been thinking about how long this camera had lasted. I've owned it since 2007, when I purchased it on sale at a Black Friday sale. I did replace the screen a few years ago after it went bad. Although, not being sure I could do it, I first purchased a "new" camera (same make/model) off eBay.

The seller said it was new/new. Complete in box with all accessories. Unfortunately it began malfunctioning a few days after I received it. So I sent it back for a refund (taking a loss on the return shipping). That is when I decided to try and replace the screen myself. Which, as it turned out, was a little difficult, but not that hard.

Now I think, after never dropping it or having any other mishaps, the camera won't work again. Of course (after brushing the water off) I had to see if it would work, and turned it on. Which is what you're supposed to NOT do (according to the Google search I did). Apparently a wet camera can short out.

Which isn't what happened, I think. The lens extended, but only only half way. Then the camera beeped a few times and turned off. The screen came on briefly (before turning off) and appeared grayish white. Which, after examining the lense under a light, I found was caused by condensation (water) inside the lense.

In any case, it's currently in a bag of rice. I haven't tried it since. I did go on eBay and purchase another one. Same make and model, which is the Samsung BL103. A really well made sturdy camera, IMO. Instead of plastic, the body is metal. I also like the color (the camera is red instead of black). And it takes 2 AA batteries (I use rechargeables). Instead of 3 (which I've seen) or (worse) a battery designed for the specific camera (think Sony, which also has unique memory "sticks"). I ruled out a Sony for those two reasons when initially looking at cameras.

Anyway, given that I purchased it used and the fact that it's an old model, the price was a low $16.95 (including shipping). Although I contacted the seller and offering him $12.95, he dropped the price by a buck. Although (and this did make me unsure of buying it) he said he was not the original owner. Instead he said he buys and resells used cameras.

So maybe the original owner treated it roughly and it won't last? I went on Amazon and found the price for the same camera is close to what I bought it for new (around $65). Hopefully it won't start malfunctioning like the other one. Although, now that I think of it, the eBay seller's description for that one might have indicated that it was a floor model.

I don't remember what the description said. I do remember thinking I was safe if was new in the box (with all the accessories). But that turned out not to be the case. BTW, when I replaced the screen on my original camera, that screen (purchased off eBay) arrived cracked. Although I didn't realize it was cracked until I installed it and turned the camera on.

As for slipping in the mud, it's only happened to me twice previously (in the last 10 years), and never while walking in water. And I have walked in water before. So, yeah, what I did was probably stupid, but I have previously walked in many places where slipping in mud could have happened, but didn't'.

Point is, I was thinking I wouldn't slip in mud. Although it did occur to me. But I thought my camera was safe, given the fact that (attached to the lanyard), I couldn't drop it. Or, I could drop it, but it wouldn't hit the ground. I thought that was a very good precaution that would protect my camera from damage.

Anyway, 5 days later the used eBay camera came in the mail, and I decided it needed to be tested right away. I walked back to where I slipped and took a picture (as close to that location as I could get). The pictures I took look good, and no malfunctioning... so far. I'll have to do more testing.

PPP #40

No comments:

Post a Comment