Saturday, July 20, 2024

Amazon Error 5886


Under this new policy I, as an individual seller without a "professional" account, cannot list ANY new item. I get this error when trying to list any item that is not currently in my Amazon inventory.

Error 5886: You cannot change a product detail page, or add offers on another seller’s generic product, or copy the product detail page to another store. If you want to sell a generic product, you must create a new product. To create a new product, follow the process outlined in Add a Product tool. For more information, go to Amazon Generic Product Policy. https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/external/G84H3T69ZX762NWT

Amazon Seller University: Resolve error code 5886. Video.

How I have been listing items since I opened my Amazon seller account 15+ years ago...

Step 1: Search Amazon for the item I want to sell. If it isn't already for sale, I can't sell it on Amazon. Because Marketplace sellers without a professional seller account can't create new product pages. Professional sellers pay Amazon $39.99 a month.

Step 2: After find the item I want to sell, I look at the listing and find the ASIN. I then use the ASIN (Amazon Standard Identification Number) and enter that on Amazon's "List an Item" page.


I have listed many items using this method. I have never had a problem with it previously. I have never seen this error in the 15+ years I have been selling on Amazon. Now I get it for every item I try to list. Now, when I try to list an item -- after entering the ASIN, the following error message pops up.


5886: You cannot change a product detail page, or add offers on another seller’s generic product, or copy the product detail page to another store. If you want to sell a generic product, you must create a new product. To create a new product, follow the process outlined in Add a Product tool. For more information, go to Amazon Generic Product Policy.

This is moronic. I suspect this must have something to do with a recent Amazon policy change. Something to do with brands and (possibly) stopping sellers from selling counterfeits. I am not sure, but I do know that I can't list anything new at all.

Message sent to Seller Support, 7/20/2024...

Audio CDs should not fall under the policy regarding "unbranded/generic" listings. The reason (I assume) they do is because audio CDs are produced by a label and not under a brand. Therefore Amazon says ALL audio CDs are "unbranded/generic"? That is ridiculous. A LABEL is analogous to a BRAND. Audio CDs are certainly not "generic". Under this policy (which must be a recent policy change) I cannot list/sell any item that isn't currently in my inventory. I ONLY sell audio CDs. I do not have a professional seller account, therefore I cannot create product pages (unless the Amazon policy re creating product pages has changed). In any case, I thought that Amazon wanted sellers to list items under existing product pages when a product page for the item trying to be sold exists. I suggest that Amazon review this policy and reach the OBVIOUS conclusion that LABEL and BRAND are analogous and that individual product pages shouldn't be created by every seller looking to sell a SPECIFIC (not generic) audio CD.

FSM.

PPP #47

No comments:

Post a Comment