Wednesday, February 10, 2021

CD Issue: The Ghost And Mrs Muir by Bernard Herrmann Re-Recording, Varese Sarabande 1985

This CD issue concerns the rerecording of the score from the 1947 film, The Ghost And Mrs. Muir, a romantic-fantasy film starring Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison. 1985 re-recording conducted by Elmer Bernstein.

Title: The Ghost And Mrs. Muir, 1947.
Composer: Bernard Herrmann.
Label: Varese Sarabande Records 1985. VSD-47254.
Release Date: 1997-01-01.
Tracks, Run Time: 33, 51:44.
Amazon: Link.
Problem: CD Bronzing, CD Rot.
Checked My Copy: No.

Comments from the FSM Message Board post: RIP, Varese's THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR (Bernstein).

 February 10, 2021 AT 3:13 AM.

Ed: I'm sad to announce that after many long years of enjoyment one of my all-time favorite soundtracks, Varese's release of THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR conducted by Bernstein, has fallen victim to disc rot. I have the FSM Bernstein box set so the music lives on in my collection and I long ago ripped the title into my computer at moderately high resolution so I'm covered, but still this was one disc from the late 1980s I would never have parted with. Sic transit gloria mundi.

 February 10, 2021 AT 8:02 AM.

JSDouglas: Sorry to hear of your loss. I remember when it was new and wrapped in the long magenta sleeve common to all Varese CDs of the era. It was such a care-free time! I let my copy go long ago and stayed pat with the FSM/FMS Box. When it's your time Ed, the disc will return to you and you will be re-united in the hereafter along with "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" and "The Sea Hawk: The Classic Film Scores of Erich Wolfgang Korngold (Extended Version)". I shall play some Herrmann in your honor!

PPP #44

No comments:

Post a Comment